Gaining Confidence

“When you have confidence, you can have a lot of fun. And when you have fun, you can do amazing things.” – Joe Namath

In honor of the 2016 National Champion Alabama Crimson Tide’s celebration in Tuscaloosa today, I thought I would share a quote from former Alabama great, Joe Namath. After two really fantastic training runs this week, I am feeling confident, having fun, and looking forward to amazing things that are to come in 25 days in Disney!

I ran three miles Monday when we returned from Nashville and it was awful. I was slow, winded, and mentally just not into it. I swear 90% of running is having your mind right. The other 10% is just putting one foot in front of the other.

Tuesday, I rocked my 10K! I felt great and could have kept going had it not been after work and the fact that my boys would expect supper sooner than later. Everything about that run was amazing.

Today, I completed an eight-mile long run that was equally as fabulous as Tuesday’s 10K. It was cold, but I layered properly, and enjoyed being out in the sun. Had I had one more GU packet, I could have easily hit 10 or more. Today was a great training day!

Gaining confidence as a runner is vital to enjoying the sport. When I feel good about a run, I have fun, and I know that reaching the finish line of whatever race I am training for is attainable. Joe Namath played football at Alabama under the one and only Coach Bear Bryant, so you know that without a doubt he worked hard to hone his quarterback skills so that he would be confident on the field. He led the Tide to a National Champioship in 1964, both fun and amazing.

Our Magic Bands arrived yesterday and the excitement of returning to “the happiest place on Earth,” has us counting down the days. We aren’t telling Miles about the trip until the morning of departure, so we are just as excited about the surprise as we are the trip. I desperately needed this week of confident runs to know that I am almost fully prepared for the Glass Slipper Challenge. Training was fun this week and I cannot wait to see what amazing things are in store when the race to 19.3 begins in four short weeks.

2016 Miles to go: 965

0 comments

  1. Britt · January 23, 2016

    Great job! I’ll be there for GSC too! It’s so soon!!

Leave a Reply