Last week was so overflowing with fabulousness I have found it nearly impossible to put a post together to describe it all. Instead of writing a lengthy diatribe filled with every excruciating detail of the first full week in April, I’m going to share the highlights with my official April Road Trip Top 10.
1. I got a PR in The Autism Run 2016 5K. The run supports the Autism Center of North Mississippi that blesses families in this area everyday by meeting the unique, individual needs of the children in their care. I loved being able to support this amazing local center while enjoying the gorgeous spring morning with friends. And, my fabulous sister-in-law won her age division!
2. I hit the road bright and early Monday morning with my friend, co-worker, and partner-in-crime, Kylie Boring, for a week that would include two states, three major events, and lots of miles (and laughs) in between.
3. I graduated from Marketing College! During a luncheon at the Southeast Tourism Society’s Spring Symposium in Baton Rouge, LA, my class of 65 officially became Travel Marketing Professionals. This three-year certification program teaches you the ends and outs of the tourism industry and creates wonderful friendships from 12 different states across the Southeast.
4. I got to have dinner in Baton Rouge with one of my very best friends from college, six-stories up, at sunset, overlooking the Mississippi River. The sushi at Tsunami was scrumptious and the view was incredible, but catching up with Lindsay Turner was good for my soul! A girls’ trip is most definitely in the works!
5. I ran four fantastic miles along the Mississippi River. Our conference was held at the Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center in Downtown along the banks of the river. The trail adjacent to the busy waterway was perfect for running and I throughly enjoyed taking advantage of the cool weather Tuesday morning. The hotel was walking distance to many of Downtown Baton Rouge’s local restaurants and unique attractions.
6. I got to spend time with all of my public relations peeps at the PRAM State Conference in Jackson, MS. The premier professional development and networking event for PR practitioners in Mississippi, we celebrated the organization’s 60th anniversary in our state’s capital city. Patrice Guilfoyle, our PRAM Vice President-Programs put on three days jampacked with quality content and tons of fun.
7. Our Tupelo Mayor Jason Shelton was named the “Under 40 Top Business Person of the Year” by the Mississippi Business Journal, at a luncheon in Jackson, MS. Along with my friend, Matt Wyatt, the three of us were recognized, with the Mayor taking top prize for his exemplary efforts leading our community.
8. As the Vice President-Awards for the Public Relations Association of Mississippi, I got to present PRism Awards for exceptional work in the field of public relations to my peers in the industry. The dinner event at the Hilton Jackson was splendid and it was such fun to hear about all of the work in which my friends and colleagues in the industry have been engaged.
9. Tupelo CVB took home four awards during the PRAM PRism Awards dinner. I am so proud of the work we do to inspire visitation to my hometown. To be recognized for our work is icing on the cake!
10. As with any road trip, my favorite part is coming home to these two crazy dudes. I enjoyed my week back on the road, seeing friends, learning a lot, running, and exploring new destinations, but coming home is what it’s all about.
2016 Miles to Go: 899